Every year as January approaches we reflect on the year that passed. We boast accomplishments, regret missed opportunities, and think about the upcoming year. “What can I do differently? What can I do better?” This is usually when we decide to make a “New Year’s Resolution”. A resolution to eat healthier, drink less, exercise more, and so on.
In theory, resolutions are a great way to promote a progressive new year. The problem with resolutions is that we almost never stick to them. In fact, only 65% of resolution-makers make it to February and only 46% will continue past June.
So how do we get ourselves to stick to our promises? Simple: pick the right resolutions, and make a plan to stick to them. This is easier said than done; so we’ve put together a couple of tips to help you out.
Choosing the Right Resolution
This may sound strange, but some resolutions actually are better than others. In order to follow through with a resolution, you need to be passionate, driven and internally motivated.
- Pick a resolution that will make you happier: Happiness is a huge driver in decision-making. If your resolution will bring you immediate, or even far-off happiness, you are more likely to follow through with it. Try planning more time with your family, or giving yourself more free time.
- Pick a resolution that is concrete: Too many people make abstract resolutions like “I will lose weight”. Instead, focus on specific goals like working out for 30 minutes 3 days a week.
- Pick a resolution that matches your style of internal motivation: Do you respond better to starting an action, or stopping one? If you are a “yes” resolver, add something positive to your life. If you are a “no” resolver, take away something negative.
Choosing a resolution might seem overwhelming, but don’t let it be! If you can’t choose just one, try out a couple of different resolutions. All that matters is that you are growing as a person.
Sticking to Your Resolution
Once you have chosen the right resolution(s), it’s time to put them in action. As soon as the ball drops, begin planning out how you will commit to your new promise.
- Write down an action plan: One of the most important aspects of resolution-making is accountability. By creating an action plan, you are making yourself responsible for success every day/week/month. Action plans will also help you record-keep and remind you of your progress.
- Change one behavior at a time: Many resolutions require several behavioral changes in order to be successful. Do not try to tackle all of them at once. If you want to lose five pounds, first drink more water, then cut fatty foods, and then begin exercising. Slowly changing behaviors will help ease you into your resolution and make you feel like you’re on an upward climb.
- Ask for support! Changing your day-to-day life is challenging, no matter what. Whenever you are feeling doubtful or lost, contact a friend. Chances are, they need a pick-me-up just as much as you do.
We wish you the best of luck in the completing your goals for 2016.
But we’re not only dishing the advice, we’re taking it too.
Here’s what we plan to achieve in 2016:
- Provide a beautiful living environment: At 1st lake, we pride ourselves on maintaining beautifully landscaped apartment communities with pools, exercise and recreational facilities, lush plantsm greenery, creeks, bridges and other outside features. We want your apartment lifestyle to feel like a vacation. So many of our apartment communities do such a great job grooming their grounds that we recognize the best of the best with quarterly Beautification Award winners. We’re committed to continuing our standard of quality for our residents in 2016.
- Provide specials and reduced rates: We often offer exclusive bonuses to our friends on Facebook and Instagram, like a chance to win a free iPad mini or flat screen TV for leasing at select communities as well as special reduced rates on apartments at featured properties. We vow to continue giving prospective residents of 1st Lake these unique opportunities to take advantage of!
- Provide new properties: A few years ago, we proudly welcomed the new Regency Club apartments in Baton Rouge. In 2015, we introduced the new Bella Ridge apartments in River Ridge. This year we hope to welcome many more properties to the 1st lake family.
So let’s all work together to make 2016 the best year yet. Happy New Year everyone!
Love this post? Share it!
— 1st Lake Properties (@1stLake) January 5, 2016