One way to enhance the look of your apartment, make it feel welcoming and cozy and add some personality to it is to use rugs. Rugs may not sound that exciting, but they can do wonders for pulling together the look in your apartment and make it seem bigger. There are different types of rugs that can be used for different purposes and a ton of different attractive patterns to choose from that can be found at an affordable price.
Cheap Rugs For Every Room
Area rugs: Area rugs are used to cover a larger floor space, acting as carpet without the commitment. Area rugs are intended for common use and to be walked on regularly. They are especially useful for covering up if you’re not partial to the flooring in a certain room.
Accent rugs: Accent rugs are smaller rugs that are meant to be a base placed under a piece of furniture like a coffee table or secretary desk. These rugs can add a pop of color or cool design to an otherwise ordinary room. Accent rugs are typically more square-shaped than area rugs which are more rectangular depending on the dimensions of the room it’s used for.
Runner rugs: Runner rugs are great to place in hallways. Runners are longer and narrower than area or accent rugs.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on rugs for your apartment. Apartment Therapy has many great suggestions for cheap rugs that are large, nice looking and high quality under $300.
Need an apartment to put your rug in? 1st Lake has many excellent options for New Orleans area apartments!
Setting up and decorating a home is an evolving process. There are always areas you find a need for in every room. Whether you are starting fresh in a new apartment or you are continuing to make yourself more at home in your current space, we will take you through the essentials and decorative touches you’ll need to complete a fully furnished room. Not all of these items are necessary, but can a fully furnished dining room can be achieved by working up the list. Here is a checklist of what you’ll need for a complete dining room design, whether that room is part of the kitchen itself or its own separate room depending on the size of your apartment.
Essential Dining Room Furniture
1. Dining room table – This is the most basic piece of furniture you’ll need for your dining room, since the main point of a dining room is to eat! There are many options for dining room tables, depending on what size you need. You can opt for a traditional wooden dining room table that seats several people, or you might want a tall table with stools for smaller spaces.
2. Dining room chairs – This is a no-brainer but you will need chairs to go with your dining room table. You may choose to get matching chairs or go a little funkier with colorful, mix matched chairs. Get creative depending on your style!
3. Table set ups – Accessories your dining room table with table set ups which include but are not limited to place mats and linen or cotton silverware rolls.
4. Glass and dishware – If you are a person who loves throwing dinner parties, you might want to consider getting “fancy” dining room drinking glasses, plates and bowls.
6. Storage – In keeping with the upscale dining room theme, you may want to get a nice wooden standing cabinet it keep your special glasses and dishware in your dining room.
7. Centerpiece – Impress your guests and turn up the volume in your dining room with a beautiful centerpiece. This could be anything from flowers to a sculpture.
8. Wine rack – Keep your nice wine that you want to save in a wine rack in your dining room so you can conveniently pull out for special occasions.
Need help setting up your living room, too? Check out our living room design guide! While you’re at it, see our available New Orleans area apartments with spacious floor plans to accommodate your personal design.
If you’re moving in to your first apartment or are starting fresh somewhere new, it’s important to plan ahead for how to set up your new digs, especially if you’re buying new furniture. We’ll take you through the essentials you’ll need room by room, starting with the living room, which is the primary common area of any apartment. Ensure that your apartment is fully furnished, starting with these living room ideas for 10 basic pieces, for a completely built out living room.
Essential Living Room Furniture
1. Couch or love seat – You’re going to want a comfy, cushiony couch or love seat to fit at least a couple of people, since the living room is intended for lounging and entertainment. To optimize your living room accommodations, look for a couch that has a pull out bed built in for when you are hosting guests.
2. Arm Chair – In addition to a couch or a love seat, make sure to have a comfortable lounge chair as an additional option for individual seating.
3. Coffee Table – A coffee table is another living room essential. Find a coffee table to match your style and budget, from a decorative iron coffee table with a glass top to a piece of salvaged wooden furniture found at a flea market.
4. Entertainment Center – While this isn’t a necessity, an entertainment center is a very nice companion to a living room. Whether your entertainment of choice is a stereo for playing music, a HD TV for playing movies and television, or a combination of both, you’ll need furniture to place it on – not to mention the equipment itself. Make sure not to get your wires crossed – see our cord control guide to avoid a cable catastrophe!
5. Lighting – Add some low lighting, like a table lamp to your living room when the ceiling light is too bright.
6. Extras – After you have all the living room essentials, it’s time to think about the finishing touches like framed photos, art and indoor plants to add some life and personality to your living room.
Don’t waste any more time looking for a great apartment! Check out all of the apartments in Metairie that 1st Lake has available right now!
Just because there is less space in some apartments compared to a house doesn’t mean that you can’t store as much stuff, you just have to be more creative and smarter about how you store it. There are plenty of clever storage solutions for less square footage. So if you have a studio or one bedroom apartment, you don’t have to worry!
Storage Equipment and Methods for Home Organization
Hideaway storage – Hideaway storage is a sneaky and brilliant way of storing household items. You can find stylish ottomans that function both as furniture and storage with tops that come off so you can keep storage inside.
Hang it up – When there’s no storage space left to be found, utilize the perfectly good available wall space by hanging up items using non damaging wall hangers. Keeping a monochromatic theme with the color of the storage material will make the storage unit blend in and be more visually appealing. For example, if you have white walls, use a white wall hanger for a cleaner, sleeker look. Wall hanging storage can be used in practically any room, from the closet for shoes to the kitchen for utensils.
Use furniture – If your bathroom has limited storage space, try adding a piece of furniture like an end table, chest of drawers or desk to keep towels and personal items like makeup and toiletries. In addition, don’t underestimate the usefulness of mantels or other interior features that can be used for shelving.
Room dividers – This is especially useful for studio dwellers who would like to divide their open space to create separation between different living sections. A large shelving unit can serve both as ample storage space and a division between where you sleep and where you entertain.
Check out the available New Orleans area apartments from 1st Lake Properties to find the perfect space with plenty of storage to fit your needs!
The first thing you or anyone who enters your apartment sees is the entryway, or landing strip. It’s important to design it in a way that is organized, attractive, and acts as a drop off point. It should be inviting and a designated spot to leave keys and other last minute personal items. Use this checklist to create a complete home landing strip for your apartment.
Door Mat – This is pretty basic, but a door mat is important for wiping off your shoes if they are wet or dirty. Find a rubber door mat that you like to put in front of your door at your 1st Lake apartment.
Coat Hooks – This is where you can leave any outerwear, umbrellas or dog leashes so that they don’t make it any further into your home, causing additional clutter. Let this be the place where you store these kinds of items so you always know where they are. Find out how to install hooks without damaging the walls in your apartment. [link to blog post]
Side Table – A side table is another important storage tool that serves both form and function. This is where you can place your wallet, purse, keys, mail and other personal items. Just like the coat rack for clothing and accessories, you’ll never have to wonder where your keys are if you always keep them on the side table in your landing strip.
Waste basket – Keeping a waste basket in your entryway will prevent trash like junk mail, scraps of paper, gum wrappers and other discards from coming any further into your home and making a mess.
Mirror – We don’t always have time to pamper ourselves before leaving the house. Having a mirror in your landing strip to take a quick look at yourself before leaving the house gives you a final chance to fix an unruly cowlick or wipe that smudge of jelly from breakfast off your cheek before going out in public.
Now that you know how to make a killer entryway, find a great new apartment to build it in! Check out the available apartments in the New Orleans metro area right now from 1st Lake!