- 1 c. packed shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 small apple
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 1/2 oz. blue cheese
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 shallot
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine hot sauce, butter, and ketchup in a bowl; reserve 1/4 cup mixture. Add chicken to remaining mixture and toss to coat. Marinate, 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Grill buns until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread dressing on buns.
- Serve chicken topped with Blue Cheese-Apple Slaw (directions below) and drizzled with reserved sauce between buns.
- To make the slaw: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Corn on the Cob with Spicy Butter
Photo by Good Housekeeping via Pinterest
Corn on the cob is a quick & easy favorite. Here is a simple recipe for a classic appetizer via Good Housekeeping.
- 1 stick butter (no substitutions)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- tsp. cayenne (ground red pepper)
- 12 small ears corn
- In medium bowl, mix butter, paprika, and cayenne until well blended. Spoon into serving bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 8-quart covered saucepot of water to boiling on high. Add corn and return to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Drain well. Place on large platter; serve hot with spiced butter on the side.
Photo via Good Housekeeping via Pinterest
Cutaway Blueberry Pie
There aren’t many things more American than a good ol’ slice of pie!
- 5 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, toss ingredients.
- Pour filling into 9-inch pie plate lined with 1 store-bought or homemade pie crust, dot with 3 tablespoons butter, then add top crust; crimp and bake at 400°F on rimmed baking sheet for 1 hour or until bubbling.
To conclude, our last recipe takes a tip from the folks south of the border. Guacamole is a simple, absolutely delicious addition to any gathering. We’re sure it’ll be gone soon after you place it on the table.
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Mash avocados with garlic and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Now that you have a few great recipes for Independence Day, all that’s left for you to do is prepare and enjoy the great company!
*Recipes from Good Housekeeping and Taste of Home.