With so much to do in one’s own backyard, more locals are discovering the joys — and savings —of taking a staycation.
Staycations on the Rise
According to AAA, only 35% of Americans in 2015 (the latest data available) traveled more than 50 miles from home for a trip. That means the vast majority opted for staycations, which are just as enjoyable but without the stress of packing for the airport, waiting in security lines, or dealing with delayed or canceled flights. Instead, people are deciding to play “tourists in their own town” or are taking day trips to locations within 50 miles. In fact, experts estimate that 34 million travelers will stay closer to home for Labor Day, as it’s considerably cheaper.
Benefits of Staying Close to Home
In addition to saving on gas, hotels, restaurants, and other travel costs, there are many other benefits to vacationing at home. You can discover new things to do within your 1st Lake apartment community and get to know your neighbors. You can spend all day on one of our tanning ledges at our beautiful pools (just remember to wear sunscreen!). And best of all: you can explore the vibrant New Orleans-metro area.
If the whole point of a vacation is to kick back and relax, who needs the added stress of airports, rental cars, jet lag, and high travel costs anyway? There’s so much to do locally. You can fill your days reconnecting with friends; you can catch up on sleep, start a new exercise routine, or take advantage of the many amenities your apartment community has to offer.
Here are a few other staycation activities:
- Take a day trip from New Orleans
- Try out a new restaurant (check out COOLinary New Orleans for great deals in August)
- Take a cruise on the Steamboat Natchez
- Visit the New Orleans Museum of Art — it’s free on Wednesdays with your Louisiana I.D.
- Organize your apartment and freshen up your interior design style
- Spend a day in the French Quarter
- Head to the new skate park in Kenner
- Catch a flick at a nearby theater
- Treat yourself to a District donut at its newest Elmwood location
Or, of course, you can spend each day in your pajamas and do nothing at all. Regardless of what you choose to do, a staycation is the best way to save money, relax, and discover something new at home